With a market share of 32% and over 14 million users, Vodacom Tanzania Public Limited Company is the leading mobile operator and mobile financial services provider in Tanzania. With the widest coverage and fastest data network, Vodacom provides a wide range of communication services for consumers and enterprise including; voice, data, messaging, video, cloud and hosting, Internet of Things, mobile solutions and financial services. Vodacom’s culture of innovation, product customization, marhet responsiveness and excellent customer service has led to an increase of 5.4% in service revenue growth driven by strong growth in M-Pesa, mobile data and messaging revenue in FY 2019. Net profit increased by 33.8% in the same period, as a result of strong delivery on the'Fit for Growth’ program.
Vodacom has also been at the forefront of developing product and services that align with the country’s development plans and the overall Sustainable Development Goals. Such products and services include: Instant schools, Connected farmer, Stock Visibility Platform, M-Koba, Smart Schools, Vodacom Digital Accelerator and many more.
Vodacom is looking for a dynamic and visionary leader to join the Board as an Independent Non-Executive Director.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The specific responsibilities of the Independent Non-Executive Director includes:
• Providing effective leadership in collaboration with the management team
• Facilitating setting up of appropriate corporate governance structures for the management of the company’s operations
• Establishing board committees, policies and procedures that shall facilitate the most effective discharge of the Board’s roles and responsibilities
• Reviewing and approving Vodacom’s annual budget proposed by the management team
• Selecting, monitoring, evaluating, compensating, and if necessary replacing the Managing Director
• Plan for the succession to the position of the Managing Director and Senior Management
• Reviewing and approving management’s strategic and organization plans, including developing a depth of knowledge of Vodacom, understanding and questioning the assumptions upon which such plans are based, and reaching an independent judgment as to the probability that the plans can be realized
• Reviewing and approving Vodacom’s financial objectives, plans, and actions, including significant expenditures
• Ensuring that the key strategic risks of the company are identified and understood, and their on-going status and management are effectively monitored
• Ensuring that appropriate and effective risk management and internal control processes are operating in the company
• Monitoring corporate performance against the strategic and tactical plans, including overseeing the operating results on a regular basis to evaluate whether the company is properly managed
• Reviewing and approving material transactions not in the ordinary course of activities at Vodacom
• Ensuring that there is an effective communication strategy and processes in place, for both external and internal communications
• Reporting annually to the shareholders as required by Vodacom’s Memorandum and Article of Association, and regularly seek shareholders’ decisions on matters requiring their approval at the general meetings
• Ensuring ethical behavior and compliance with laws and regulations, auditing and accounting principles, and the company’s own governing documents
• Assessing its own effectiveness in fulfilling these and other Board responsibilities
• Perform such other functions as are prescribed in acts regulating the company’s functions, that is but not limited to Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA), Capital Markets and Securities Authority (CMSA), Bank of Tanzania (BoT).
• A bachelor’s degree in any finance, marketing, actuarial science, economics, law, ICT, engineering, human resources, or related field. A post graduate qualification in a business related field will be an added advantage
• At least 1 0 years’ experience as a director ofa medium to large size company with business development focus and proven track record of business turnaround
• More than 5 years’ experience as a board member and of a board committee. Board leadership experience with a listed company would be an added advantage
• Have thorough understanding of financial management, regulatory compliance, board management, demonstrable commercial and investment acumen
• Be a highly networked individual with ability to build and maintain relationships beneficial to the organization
• Knowledge of the financial services industry or experience in corporate finance experience will be an added advantage
• Not involved in any kind of activity or relationships that could even remotely constitute a material conflict of interest to serve as independent director
If you believe you clearly meet the relevant criteria for this role, please submit your application, copies of your academic and professional certificates, testimonials and your detailed curriculum vitae, including among other details your current position, current and expected remuneration, clearly quoting the relevant reference number VTPL-NED-1 1/2019 on the subject of your email.
To apply, kindly log onto our service provider e-recruitment platform via https://www2.deloitte.com/he/en/careers/executive-search-recruitment.html.
Application deadline is 20th January 2020. Email or hard copy applications will not be accepted. All applications MUST be submitted through the e-recruitment portal to be considered.